Oldham Academy North, the latest Academy commissioned by Oldham Council, was handed over on time by main contractors Willmott Dixon ready for its official opening in April 2013. This £18.5 million E-ACT sponsored academy is a custom built facility on the former Newman College site in the Royston district of Oldham, Greater Manchester.
The new Oldham Academy North, designed by architectural practice Aedas Architects, is a spacious and colourful three storey building set in sensitively landscaped grounds. With the site being quite flat, and the building surrounded by paved and asphalted surfaces, it was essential rainwater is drained effectively.
A Hauraton RECYFIX® PRO 100 channel system, fitted with FIBRETEC® C250, 9mm slot gratings, was used by groundwork sub-contractor Westoak Construction to drain the paved playgrounds and asphalted car parks. The channels were also installed along parts the building’s façade and across entrance doors to facilitate drainage.
The material, PA-GF used to make the FIBRETEC® grating, was especially developed by Hauraton; the tough, UV resistant, fibre reinforced moulding offers high stability and huge strength for its weight. Complying with loading category Class C250 (BSEN 1433) the grating can easily take the weight of commercial delivery vehicles. The design is a real innovation as its non-corrosive material provides a visually appealing surface finish that retains its black colour. The slots are super smooth, elliptical openings with the moulded bars having slightly raised triangular bosses along their outside edges. As well as providing an elegant appearance, the feature ensures surface water is directed into the slots.
The RECYFIX® channel component is made from 100% recycled PE-PP. The six sizes offered are 160mm wide and range in height from 75mm to 201mm with the FIBRETEC® grating factory fitted on all models. As the largest unit is only 4.6kg, RECYFIX PRO channelling is easily handle and quickly installed on site.
- Architect: Aedas Architects
- Authority: Oldham Council
- Oldham Academy North sponsor: E.ACT
- E-ACT is a leading multi academy sponsor, specialising in the developing and maintaining of academies, transforming education and opportunities for thousands of young people.
- Main contractor and ground works: Wilmott Dixon.
- Groundwork sub-contractor: Westoak Construction.
- Hauraton Project Engineer: Ian Burton, Mobile 07880 037306 ian email@example.com
- Surface water drainage systems and Hydraulics Design Support: Hauraton Limited.